Tsalteshi Trails Youth Ski Program
+++++NOTICE: The program has already begun for 2013. We are no longer accepting students for this ski season. Please check back in November 2013 to register for next season+++++
MISSION: Through the Tsalteshi Trails Youth Ski Program (TTYSP), children are encouraged to enjoy the Alaska winter while learning the sport of cross country skiing. The emphasis is on having fun and learning proper technique rather than on competition.
TTYSP skiers may learn both classical (diagonal) and skate skiing depending on age and ability. Skiers learn proper care and handling of equipment, trail etiquette, good sportsmanship and how to act responsibly in the outdoors. A typical lesson will include a warm-up period, a lesson in technique, and a fun activity.
All skiers are assigned to small groups based upon age and readiness. Movement between groups will likely occur based on progress.
ELIGIBILITY: TTYSP is open to all children ages 6 – 12.
TIMES, DATES & LOCATIONS
- Online Registration Opens: Saturday, November 10.
- Early Rental Ski Distribution: Tuesday, December 18 from 5pm to 6pm.
- Parent Meeting: Tuesday, January 8 at 7:00 PM in the Skyview High School Library.
- Lesson Times and Dates:
- Saturdays (NEW TIMES: 2:30 – 4:00 PM) – January 12, Feb 2, Feb. 16, and March 2
- Tuesdays and Thursdays (6:00 – 7:00 PM) – Jan. 15 – Feb. 28
- Make-up dates due to canceled sessions – Feb. 23, March 5 and 7
- Lessons start promptly. Plan to arrive 15 minutes early so that your skiers can find their groups, wax their skis and receive any necessary instructions before practice begins.
- Lesson Locations:
- Saturday, January 12: Tsalteshi Trails system, Skyview High School Trailhead.
- Saturday, February 2: TBD
- Saturday, February 16: Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Headquarters.
- Saturday, March 2: Tsalteshi Trails system, Kalifornsky Beach Trailhead.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays lessons will meet at the middle school wax shack (near the old hockey rink), Skyview High School Trailhead.
$90.00 per child for all 18 sessions and $70 for each additional child per family
Additionally, all children must be covered under a Tsalteshi Trails membership, either individually as a student ($20) or as part of a family membership ($120). Membership can be accomplished online here.
Rental skis and poles (no boots) are available through TTYSP for a fee. Rental skis are combination skis with NNN bindings—they work for both diagonal and skate skiing, and are appropriate for beginning skiers.
The Tsalteshi Trails website has a ‘classified’ section for you to post used equipment for sale, or find used equipment to buy.
The youth program has a very limited number of used skis for sale this year, and will post them on the TTA website.
- Is previous skiing experience required?
No. Students are placed into groups based on ability.
- Will any boot work with any binding?
There are two main brands of bindings for cross country skiing, Salomon and NNN. You have to purchase boots and bindings that are compatible. Both styles work equally well. Our rental skis use NNN bindings.
- How are skis and poles sized?
That depends on several factors. Our rental skis are “combi” meaning they can be used for both skate and classic skiing. Most students do well will skis as long as they are tall. Classic poles should be between the armpit and the top of the shoulder. Skate poles should be between the chin and the lips. If you will only have one pair of poles, aim for the middle of those two recommendations.
- How does registration work?
This program has sold out every year! Registration will open on November 10. Prior to November 22, preference is given to returning members. New members may register and will be temporarily wait-listed. Registrations will be accepted in the order completed. All forms and payments must be received for registrations to be considered complete. Between November 22 and January 8, previously wait-listed registrants are confirmed, and registrations for all members, new and returning are accepted in the order completed. Last year we accepted 100 students but we hope to accept more this season depending on the availability of qualified coaches. If you register too late your money will be refunded by mid-January (after lessons begin and our class sizes are confirmed) .
Sign up for the Youth Ski Program (Link will be functional November 2013)
TTYSP is affiliated with the Tsalteshi Trails Association and is run by a director who oversees the program. For more information, call Laura Pillifant (262-7740 or 398-0774) or Sara Hepner (398-4719) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.