Bikes are nice at Tsalteshi! Sure, you know that Tsalteshi Trails is a great place for running, hiking and disc golf during the non-snow months. But did you know that TTA offers mountains of fun for the well-wheeled among us? Pedal on over and see what we’ve got in store:
Intro to Mnt. Biking Clinic starts June 12 Join TTA for an Intro to Mountain Biking series of clinics at the trails. Each session will be led by experienced riders to help guide those new to mountain biking or just new to the trails. The fee is $5 per session, or free for TTA members. Membership registration is available at www.tsalteshi.org. All sessions meet at 6 p.m. Thursdays at the TTA sheds by the old hockey rink behind Skyview High School. Please wear a helmet. This is a great way to prepare for the Salmon Cycle Series of races starting in July.
June 12: Riding with kids. Appropriate for youths of any age — as long as they ride a two-wheel bike (not for training wheels) — and their adult(s). Led by Angie Brennan. Get tips for keeping kids moving and motivated on a mountain bike, and take a tour of some of the easier loops of the trails.
June 19: Tackling tricky terrain. Hills, sand, bumps and lumps — learn how to conquer them all. With Adam Reimer and Tony Eskelin.
June 26: Bike maintenance and repair, presented by volunteers from Beemun’s Bike Loft. Learn how to keep pedaling with the experts from Beemun’s, then take a trail tour with Tony Oliver.
For more information, contact Jenny at email@example.com or 394-6397.
Mouth to Mouth beach run or rideJoin Cook Inletkeeper and TTA for a run or fat bike ride 10 miles along the beach from the mouth of the Kenai River to the mouth of the Kasilof River at 11 a.m. Saturday, June 14.
Watch a preview of the ride on YouTube!
- Route: Race starts at the Kenai South Beach parking lot (off Cannery Road) and finishes at the Kasilof North Beach parking lot off Kasilof Beach Road.
- Bonfire beach party at the finish with a shuttle ride to Kenai available. Prizes for the fastest male and female runner and biker, youngest participant and silliest salmon costume. Proceeds support Cook Inletkeeper.
- Preregistration: $25 ($20 for TTA and CIK members, enter promo code TTAMEMBER or CIKMEMBER at checkout to get your discount) atwww.tsalteshi.org
- Day-of, in-person registration: $35 ($30 for TTA and CIK members)
- For more information, visit facebook.com/wildrunandride or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salmon Cycle Series coming in JulySalmon Cycle Series races begin Thursday, July 10, and continue weekly untilThursday, Sept. 4. Then join us for PsychoCross on Sept. 6. More information to follow, including online registration and discounts for Tsalteshi members. Stay tuned to www.tsalteshi.org and Follow TTA on Facebook.
Singletrack trail work beginsAn awesome crew of volunteers started work upgrading our Snowshoe Trail to a singletrack bike trail last weekend. Check out the progress so far in person starting from the Wolverine trailhead. Or live vicariously through this update. Want to get involved? Sign up to volunteer at Beemun’s Bike Loft. Let’s keep this trail rolling!
Bike Season Kickoff a successThanks to everyone who came to our off-road biking season kickoff party! Thanks especially to Kenai River Brewing for the refreshments, the Kenai Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center for the venue and support, Triumvirate Theatre for the sound system and Beemun’s for marshaling bike trail construction volunteers. And also the Alaska Downhill Brigade for sharing their biking clips with us. Good people doing good things for off-road biking in Alaska. Well worth checking out!
Relay for Life 5kBe sure to work some cross-training into your new cycling routine. Relay for Life of the Central Peninsula will hold a fundraiser 5-kilometer fun run/walk at 6 p.m. Friday, June 13, at the Wolverine Trailhead of Tsalteshi Trails off Kalifornsky Beach Road, with Relay closing ceremonies to follow.
- Online registration is available through June 12 atwww.tsalteshi.org.
- Cost: $25 for adults and $15 for students, with a $5 discount for Tsalteshi Trails Association members (use code TTAMEMBER).
- Don’t want to run? No sweat (literally)! Donate $25 to the cause.
- Race-day registration will be available at 5:30 p.m. at the trailhead for an additional $5.
- Date: July 12, 2014
- Bib pickup Thursday and Friday, July 10 & 11, from 5-6 p.m. at Soldotna High School
- Race day registration and bib pickup Saturday, July 12, 7:30-8:30 a.m.
- Buses leave at 9 a.m. from Soldotna High School, taking 5-k racers to Peninsula Powersports, and 10-mile racers to Kenai Central High School.
- Prices go up after online registration closes. Sign up today and save atwww.tsalteshi.org.
- Active Tsalteshi Trails Members —- use promo code TTAMEMBER to get a $5 discount. Not a member? Become one HERE.
Salmon Run SeriesThe popular Salmon Run Series, held at Tsalteshi in conjunction with the Kenai Watershed Forum, kicks off again in July. Races start Wednesday, July 9, and continue weekly until Wednesday, Aug. 6. Then join us for the Fountain of Youth all-ages 5-K run Aug. 13, and Everything but the Red Run Aug. 16. More information to follow, including online registration and discounts for Tsalteshi members.