Registration for the 2017 season will open around the second week of November 2016
2017 Ski Season Information
MISSION: Through the Tsalteshi Trails Youth Ski Program (TTYSP), children are encouraged to enjoy the Alaska winter while learning the sport of cross country skiing. The emphasis is on having fun and learning proper technique rather than on competition.
TTYSP skiers may learn both classical (diagonal) and skate skiing depending on age and ability. Skiers learn proper care and handling of equipment, trail etiquette, good sportsmanship and how to act responsibly in the outdoors. A typical lesson will include a warm-up period, a lesson in technique, and a fun activity.
All skiers are assigned to small groups based upon age and readiness. Movement between groups will likely occur based on progress.
ELIGIBILITY: TTYSP is open to all children ages 6 – 12.
TIMES, DATES & LOCATIONS
- Online Registration Opens: Sunday, November 6th at 10:00am
- Early Rental Ski Distribution: TBD
- Parent Meeting: TBD
- Lesson Times and Dates:
- Saturdays (2:30 – 4:00 PM) – Jan. 14, Jan. 28, Feb. 4, and Feb. 25
- Tuesdays and Thursdays (6:00 – 7:00 PM) – Jan. 10 – February 23
- Make-up dates due to canceled sessions – Feb 28, March 2, 3, 7,and 9
- Lessons start promptly. Plan to arrive 15 minutes early so that your skiers can find their groups, wax their skis and receive any necessary instructions before practice begins.
- Lesson Locations:
- Saturday, January 16: Tsalteshi Trails system, Skyview Middle School Trailhead
- Saturday, January 28: TBD
- Saturday, February 4: TBD
- Saturday, February 25: Tsalteshi Trails system, Kalifornsky Beach Trailhead (most groups)
- Tuesdays and Thursdays lessons will meet at the TTA wax shack (near the old hockey rink), Skyview Middle School Trailhead.
$90.00 per child for all 18 sessions
Additionally, all children must be covered under a Tsalteshi Trails membership, either individually as a student ($20) or as part of a family membership ($120). Membership can be accomplished online here.
Rental skis and poles (no boots) are available through TTYSP for a fee. Rental skis are combination skis with NNN bindings—they work for both diagonal and skate skiing, and are appropriate for beginning skiers.
- Is previous skiing experience required?
No. Students are placed into groups based on ability.
- Will any boot work with any binding?
There are two main brands of bindings for cross country skiing, Salomon and NNN. You have to purchase boots and bindings that are compatible. Both styles work equally well. Our rental skis use NNN bindings.
- How are skis and poles sized?
That depends on several factors. Our rental skis are “combi” meaning they can be used for both skate and classic skiing. Most students do well will skis as long as they are tall. Classic poles should be between the armpit and the top of the shoulder. Skate poles should be between the chin and the lips. If you will only have one pair of poles, aim for the middle of those two recommendations.
- How does registration work?
This program has sold out every year! Registration will open on November 6, 2016. Registrations will be accepted in the order completed. All forms and payments must be received for registrations to be considered complete. Last year we accepted 115 students but we hope to accept more this season depending on the availability of qualified coaches. If you register too late your money will be refunded by mid-January (after lessons begin and our class sizes are confirmed) .
Vole Ski Program (3-5 year old group)
We will be offering the 3-5 year old ski program again this year. To sign up for this program please e-mail Carly Reimer at firstname.lastname@example.org after the November 6th program sign up begins. Include your skiers name, age and a contact e-mail address.
We will be charging $10 per child for the program this year to cover expenses, and will collect those fees the first week of the program. Participants must also be members of the Tsalteshi Trails Association. We will meet on the Tuesdays and Thursdays listed above, from 6:15 to 6:45. One parent must be in attendance with each skier.
TTYSP is affiliated with the Tsalteshi Trails Association and is run by a committee who oversees the program. For more information, call Laura Pillifant (262-7740 or 398-0774) or Carly Reimer (260-6369 or 252-6613) or e-mail (NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!) email@example.com.