Tsalteshi is hosting Besh Cup races Jan. 15 and 16 at the Skyview Trailhead, and we need your help! Besh Cup is the premier cross country skiing competition series in Alaska, used to select the Alaska Teams to the Junior Olympic National Championships. It’s a phenomenal opportunity for our young skiers, ages 10 and up, to get experience racing at a high level with a home-trails advantage. Besh Cup draws hundreds of skiers from around the state and it takes a small army to make the races happen. This is a great way to support the peninsula’s youth skiers. Please help!
- 70 volunteers needed
- Training provided, no prior experience necessary. Youth volunteers welcome.
- This is an outdoor event — dress accordingly. We will have warm-up sheds for our volunteers, hot coffee/tea and food throughout and as many hand- and toe-warmers as you can fit in your gloves and boots.
- These are all-day events. Plan to be available morning (9 or 10 a.m.) through afternoon (3 or 4 p.m.)
- Volunteering for both days is preferred, to make training easier, but we’ll take it if you can only do one day.
- Set up — Set up stadium, start/finish areas and mark course
- Tear down — Tear down stadium, start/finish areas and course marking
- Announcing — Communicate with start area, make announcements on mic
- Bibs — Hand out and retrieve racing bibs
- Timing chips — Place/retrieve timing chips on racer boots
- Awards — Help present flowers, take pictures at awards
- Start area — Call skiers to start chute, get skiers placed on start line
- Finish line — Spot/write down bib numbers as racers cross finish line
- Blankets — Hand out and retrieve blankets to waiting racers
- Crowd control — Keep nonracers off the course
- Hospitality/volunteer care — Maintain food/drinks for volunteers, hand out hand/toe warmers, spell volunteers so they can take bathroom/warm-up breaks
- Runner/results posting — Get printed results from timer, post on results board, distribute heat sheets to coaches
- Racer warmups — Help racers store/retrieve jackets/hats/water/etc. before/after races (think, coat check for racers)
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your availability, any previous race volunteer experience you might have and any particular job you’d like to do.